Monday, May 12, 2008

Winners never quit and quitters never win.


But those who never quit and never win are just idiots.

Whatever it takes to get a comic book done to the amount of detail that a lot of professionals work to, I just don't have. Be it time, speed, determination, talent or even money. It takes me a long damn time to get a book done. I've got nearly a month left to complete Robotoon, but knowing how I work and how much time it takes, I know that isn't enough.

The thing is, I have a lot more stories I would like to tell in comic book form. But at the rate I'm going - I average about one new book every two years - I'm never going to get anything completed. I've tried getting faster, but I can't do that without sacrificing the quality of the art. At least, the way I'm drawing it now.

The image above was a quick test I did last night. It's kinda quick and rough, but I'll emphasis the word quick. It's based on the DC Animated style, which is a very sharp, quick and angular style, that I've always loved. I've never believed myself good enough to be able to emulate that sort of cartoony style - believe me, it takes more talent to leave stuff out than to put it in. I like how this turned out though. I'm going to try a short two or three page Spider-duck story to try it out in practice. If this works out, then maybe I can start adapting my style to a point where I can become a lot quicker.

I don't know if this makes me determined and head strong, or just a fuckwit who won't say when.

No comments: