Friday, June 6, 2008

Less and Less

I just finished another page, being the second page I completed today. I think that brings the tally down to 7 left, with about 11 days to go.

I wanted to get at least one more page finished tonight, but my boss rang today and I need to start at 7 tomorrow. That's in the AM. I usually work nights, which means I've had nights where I didn't go to bed till then, especially while I've been working on this book. Last time I had an early start - which was only recently - I decided to just stay up and not sleep, go to work straight through. That, in a word, was REALLY FUCKING DUMB!!!!!!! I had my worst day at work I've had since I started because of that! So no, no the plan at all.

On a different note, continuing my obsession with all things Transformers, I finally found the last piece of the Puzzle today. The only character from the movie I didn't own. Scorponok. Remember the big, metal scorpion from the movie? That guy. And yeah, I splurged. No where near as expensive as Megatron, so I don't feel like I've totally wasted my money. However, it has cemented my opinion about Beast Machines.

Quick lesson in Transformer history. There have been many different incarnations of the TF, all with their own back stories and of course, all with their own toys. My personal favourite, simply cause I grew up with them, is Generation 1, or G1. They were all the planes and cars and vehicles. All the names and characters that your average, non geek type person would recognise are from G1. Round about the late nineties sometime, the came up with the brilliant idea of having Transformers change into animals. Henceforth, Beast Machines was born.

I HATE Beast Machines. For one simple reason. With the G1 characters, they all transform into things that are disguises. You don't look at a truck or car and think there's a robot in there, so the transformations are always pretty cool. But with Beast Machines, the changes are really stupid and obvious. You've got a gorilla that changes into a robot. It doesn't change, IT JUST STANDS UP! Also, and this is just petty, but I hate the concept of something inorganic turning into something organic. Just doesn't work in my head.

Of course, all this would have more weight if I didn't just spend 25 bucks on one of the things.

No comments: